Reverse Harem or Not a Reverse Harem? Part 1 of 3: Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 1 (manga)

Here are the titles I've procrastinated yet again to review as the reverse harem status of the two titles is maybe it may become one in the future while the other one made me really confused. Reverse harem or not a reverse harem? That is the question. Also, check out Levels of Reverse Harem


Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 1 (Amakunai Karera no Nichijo wa) by Youko Nogiri  

To help her family's finances, Midori Nanami is working part-time but it is against the school's rules. She was caught and may lose her scholarship. The only way to keep it is to convince the three boys to go back to school. The boys are Yukinojo Ieri, son of a doctor; Rei Ichijo, son of the head of Ichijo conglomerate and Chihiro Goshima, successor to Goshima Gang. They have a bad rep in their school but Midori believes they are nice as they have helped her before.

The manga has a slice-of-life feel with typical highschool scenes that is just right. We are slowly getting to know the characters. You can see all the seeds being laid down. There's an organic, natural feeling of seeing it grow unto you. Not a full-blown romance yet which is just apt. It makes you look forward and to get to know them more.  

The delicately drawn art is such a visual treat. Like you would be blinded if you stare at them too much? There's so much tension for each character. Each stare, each expression is painting so many words in my head but in the end, you want to scream what are you thinking? Tell me! 
 
commemoration art of volume 3 release

Is it a reverse harem? It's too short and maybe too sudden for it to be a reverse harem.  The second guy blushed and the third guy had a kabedon moment. I was too reluctant to call it reverse harem when I read it back then that's why I procrastinated but now thinking back why do I miss things the first time around? This should be proof that these are the seeds of discord being planted. I like the cutest bits of tension that make you think, is this going to grow into something? The third guy's scene..ahh I can go on and on about it but I better zip it. Okay, I am falling for him just for this scene. 

In the manga blurb, it says... one of whom just happens to be her crush! which clearly indicates it's not a reverse harem. But I've been very hard-headed to try it because why highlight three boys in the title? I mean why three cute boys? Since the curiosity is killing me I also took a peek at future volumes' summary and another not-so-sweet boy will start to like her! I don't know why this feels less reverse harem when I've blogged other ambiguous reverse harem too. Why am I being too hard when this is the first volume only? That's it! The reason is that it is the first volume only that's why.  

And I'm so stupid, I didn't know that this was from the same creator of  That Wolf Boy is Mine!  I've been gushing how I want to see it as anime. But this falls under two flowers only (under the Levels of Reverse Harem) and now I'm getting nervous again if the mangaka will follow the same path. And curious too that the future covers of Those Not So Sweet Boys never show them as a group. What do you think? Should I continue with the series?  

Thank you for K from Patreon and Moon Lily from Ko-fi! This is the second book I was able to purchase after the Pretty Boy Detective Club light novel. Please consider pledging or tipping to help me review your next-future-favorite titles. Also, check out the other two reviews of 'Reverse Harem or Not a Reverse Harem?' series: As The Villainess, I Reject These Happy-Bad Endings! light novel and Princess Maid webcomic. 

Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned: (as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases):

Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 1 https://amzn.to/3BdnwAl
Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 2 https://amzn.to/2VUkTU1
Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 3 https://amzn.to/3hMBj9v
Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 4 https://amzn.to/3kuXgM7
Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 5 https://amzn.to/3iqLO1l
Those Not-So-Sweet Boys Vol. 6 https://amzn.to/3reWiF2
That Wolf-Boy Is Mine! Omnibus 1 (Vol. 1-2) https://amzn.to/3eOolpZ
That Wolf-Boy Is Mine! Omnibus 2 (Vol. 3-4) https://amzn.to/3z9LSsV

Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

If you enjoyed this post please consider buying KofiShares and whitelisting the site are also appreciated. :)


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement