First Impression: In A Class of Her Own ep 1-3 ~ It's starting to feel like Sungkyunkwan Scandal



Xue Wenxi makes use of her brilliant mind by copying and writing romance stories. She will do anything to take care of her family and she's doing all this while pretending as a boy. In desperation, she agreed to stand in for scholar's examinations but ended up studying inside the all-boy Yun Shang Academy. Inside the academy, she will become part of the Yun Shang Quartet. This is a cdrama remake of Sungkyunkwan Scandal kdrama. 

First things first. Sungkyunkwan Scandal is one of my all-time favorite reverse harem kdrama. But with the Levels of Reverse Harem, it's now under two flowers (only 2 guys are interested in her). I was excited at first when I first saw the remake news but then I remembered how disappointed I was with the last two wuxia  I've seen so this time I tried to be indifferent. 



Sungkyunkwan Scandal

The guys are all so strikingly handsome that it hurts when you look at them but I'm not buying them yet for the looks. I think it will be hard to get past with my bias of SS especially my favorite, Mun Jae-sin. I can't remember the exact story now but some of the scenes are giving me deja vu like how she meets Lei Zexin perched on a tree and writing down on Feng Chengjun's robe. The only thing I liked from the first episode is the opening credits where they look like diorama displays.    

In episode 2, I started getting butterflies when Feng Chengjun and Xue Wenxi got stuck in a cave. And true to gender bender fashion, the heroine is so pretty and everyone is too oblivious to notice that she's a girl. I started becoming interested in the show. Calm yourself... 

By episode 3, my walls are crumbling down. I am getting myself so hyped up again. I'm starting to like the two guys now. And to think, Xue Wenxi and Lei Zexin (Mun Jae-shin counterpart) have not officially met yet as students. I think I'm going to fall for him so hard again. Just like I loved my favorite characters no matter who the actors are in all the adaptations of Hana Yori Dango and Hana Kimi. But I'm not feeling the heroine just yet. The only thing likable for now is her looks.  Park Min Young as Kim Yun Sook was always smiling while Xue Wenxi is either frowning or scowling. Why do I have the feeling Yu Lexuan will also fall for her. I hope they all fall in love with her so we can tag this under four flowers and not two flowers. Haha I also don't trust my memory now, the president and courtesan are getting mixed up with Hwarang actors and storyline.

It's too early to tell if we'll enjoy the whole series but I'm optimistic and wishing real hard it will not disappoint later on. Sungkyunkwan is 20 episodes long while IACOHO has 36 episodes. I feel so pressured when it releases 2 episodes every. single. day. I am not ready to binge. Since the quarantine started I pace myself with 1 episode each a day and then ruminate on all those feelings before I watch the next one. But at this point, I want to go all out. I imagine the pacing will be slower or there will be additional scenes to stretch it out with the additional 16 episodes. So far the pacing is just perfect, but then again this is just 3 out of 36. 

It's been a while since I have watched or read a gender bender. The last time was in 2017 with Love In the Moonlight (not a reverse harem), reverse harem anime Kenka Bancho Otome and reverse harem manga Ouran High School Host Club. There are so many upcoming gender bender cdramas too.  My Unicorn Girl, We are Eighteen and (I also added) The Chang'an Youth. But I don't think they are four flowers.  I miss this trope but I not looking forward to watching one after another.

Are you watching this? How do you find it so far? If not you can watch this on iQiyi. I am back on Ko-fi! Buy me a coffee please~ Thank you! :) 

Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

You can support through Kofi  or please whitelist!   

Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned:
Sungkyunkwan Scandal- Korean Drama (6 DVD, 20 Episodes) All Region with English Subtitles https://amzn.to/335qU1t
Boys Over Flowers: Jewelry Box (Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango) manga https://amzn.to/30YCsB4
Hana-Kimi (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3 (1) manga https://amzn.to/3f86I1E
Love in the Moonlight (PK Korean Drama, English Subtitles) drama https://amzn.to/31aPhbR
Kenka Bancho Otome: Love's Battle Royale, Vol. 1 (1) manga https://amzn.to/3jPFaBC
Kenka Bancho Otome: Girl Beats Boys - The Complete Series Blu-ray + DVD anime https://amzn.to/2CViSO4
Ouran High School Host Club Box Set (Vol. 1-18) manga https://amzn.to/3hJZYIP
Ouran High School Host Club - Complete Series (Classic) [Blu-ray] anime  https://amzn.to/3f9nPzV
Ouran High School Host Club (Vol. 1 - 11 End) drama https://amzn.to/39yDqYM
(I may earn a small commission if anyone will purchase through this)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement