Light Novel Review: Culinary Chronicles of the Court Flower Vol. 1

 

Culinary Chronicles of the Court Flower Vol. 1 - Story by Miri Mikawa Art by Kasumi Nagi Translated by afm 

Setsu Rimi enters the imperial harem as a tribute to the emperor. She is a carefree girl with cooking as her sole passion. She meets the cuisinologist/loveless scholar Su Shusei, the emperor's bodyguard Shin Jotetsu; the beautiful eunuch Sai Hakurei, and the magnificent and sadist-like emperor Ryo Shohi. Disclaimer: A review copy was provided by the publisher. 

The reason it got into my reverse harem radar is thanks to the last bit of "China-inspired fantasy story about a princess and her love for food surrounded by gorgeous men." She's surrounded alright by gorgeous men. Let me arrange them on their level of interest to her. The main guy is Shusei. Period. Hakurei comes second who has taken interest in her but for different confusing reasons. The emperor is bent on getting her beheaded but she is his concubine so there's plenty of room for possible romance in the future. Maybe? Jotetsu comes last as he has not shown interest in her but he got me just for that photo above alone. At first, I thought he was the emperor. That arrogant stance should be considered a crime! This falls under three flowers as we have yet to see the bishonen go all out in taking a romantic interest in her. (See Levels of Reverse Harem) There are no other key characters except for the other concubine. The other major characters were just mentioned and have not yet appeared in the story.  

I've just finished Stages of Reverse Harem which featured concubines, consorts, and eunuchs which is along the same lines as Culinary Chronicles. But this light novel offers a hot new take on everything I've been consuming lately.  It's a new delicacy that is making me want for more.  It's not downright hilarious but it's the little things that make it funny. The interesting tidbits are sprinkled all throughout and everything is addressed later on without making you feel impatient. At the final half, I just can't be bothered with recapping, I have to finish it for my own enjoyment. 

This is not the first cooking reverse harem story but I find the cooking itself too technical. Maybe because there are no visuals and also partly to the fact that I can't cook to save my life if I get stranded on an island. It is such a big loss for me that I can't fully appreciate the recipes and the cooking. But still, it will be interesting to read and learn even for the culinarily challenged. It's ridiculous of me to expect a Cooking Master Boy type of ending but I liked how it ended naturally and not over the top. 

My most favorite ingredient is the main couple with their geekiness over food. Rumi with her carefree, funny way of thinking.  Her incorrect and sometimes inappropriate usage of language is bound to cost her head. Shusei's zero knowledge in the romance department would also provide a source of chuckles. 

The character designs are chef's kiss. I want colored art of the other three men! Culinary Chronicles has similarities with Saiunkoku Monogatari in terms of being part of imperial harem and setting. But totally different vibe. And on the other end of the spectrum is, Ooku. Ever since Ooku, I felt claustrophobic of imperial harem settings. Of not being able to go outside. Then the pandemic happened now we all know how it feels inside an imperial harem.  For cooking-themed reverse harem, some notable titles are Yumeiro Patisserie anime, Flower Boy Ramyun Shop kdrama, and Lunch no Ooju jdrama. 

Some reverse harem doesn't happen from the start and I would like to stick around to see if it does become a full blown four flowers reverse harem.  And looking forward to meeting her sister. Just a feeling that we'll see her someday. Let me know your thoughts on the novel in the comments. Did you enjoy it as well?
 
Purchase titles/ related to the titles mentioned: (as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases):

Culinary Chronicles of Court Flower Vol. 1 (LN) https://amzn.to/3q3X1rY
Culinary Chronicles of Court Flower Vol. 2 (LN) https://amzn.to/35B5B8h
The Story of Saiunkoku (Issues) (9 Book Series) https://amzn.to/3iPpYX3
The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1 (anime) https://amzn.to/3gJ55Kl
Ôoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1 https://amzn.to/3gNFTmi
Yumeiro Patissiere [Blu-ray] https://amzn.to/3cQrOTG
 
Love Reverse Harem Garden? Follow on: Youtube  |  Facebook  | Twitter  | Instagram 

If you enjoyed this post please consider buying KofiShares and whitelisting the site are also appreciated. :)


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement